Periodic Reporting for period 1 - UBIQUO (PLATFORM TO DEVELOP AND DISTRIBUTE GESTURE RECOGNITION BASED APPLICATIONS)
Reporting period: 2015-05-01 to 2015-10-31
These type of actions (websites and apps) and the way of introducing what people want and its reply, is not considering all types of persons. We believe this can be improved and can be extended to a much more inclusive and natural model, which will be opened to new projects, products and solutions as well as new types of professional profiles.
EASY CODE wanted to place on market UBIQUO, a platform for development of gesture recognition applications. That was the initial idea, but when we started working on each of the environments where we have been testing UBIQUO in Phase I, we quickly realized that the technology not only allowed to perceive the gestures of the people but also signals of any device included in the space where a test is performed. It also allowed us to be aware of how different can these data to be analyzed in some cases, such as if the gesture came from a person with different physical patterns of an adult (eg children) or with physical disabilities. All this change the pattern analysis.
During Phase 1, EASY CODE has performed a feasibility study by developing the Beta version of the Platform reaching these specific objectives:
- The team has identified and defined the applications that have been developed in beta phase of the project.
- Performance has been tested and API trials with different sensors have been done.
- Basic UBIQUO Apps development process has been completed and the experience from developer´s point of view has been tested.
- We have found hardware manufacturers that could produce for EASY CODE the compact hardware UBox and cheaper on-line solutions for early developers.
- Several process trials under different environment have been performed.
- We have explored the legal issues that apply to the data or images that will be processed by UBIQUO.
- We have shown UBIQUO in different meetings and media channels to attract app developers in order to create a global community to share information and needs between programmers who want to develop new services based on this technology.
- We are studying the better way to protect technology developed.
- We have updated our business plan with the results of Phase I
The company has achieved the objectives of Phase I and will continue with plan of perform the project independent of be granted in Phase II. In this way EASY CODE already is working to achieve a community of programmers, ICT companies, technology integrators, etc. that will become its partners.
Definitively, the activities carried out in Phase 1 thanks to SME Instrument grant has allowed us a better business model definition and learn how the potential of this technology can be maximized. UBIQUO will be adapted in countless sectors (i.e. advertising, marketing, health, education, security, industry, improvement of life of persons with disabilities, arts and culture, events, etc). and UBIQUO TECHNOLOGIES (also called UBIQUOTECHS) will be the brand for technologies and services to reach market.
The main objective of this phase was to have the beta version of the platform. Since May to July almost all of our developers were working on this project, and finally we got it. As result we are able developing and testing applications now. Also the first interactive points have been configured and can be used remotely connected. We have worked on the sample applications to test UBIQUO in different environments and uses. Already the App developers can request an invitation to become early adopters of UBIQUO and use it at this link ubox.ubiquotechs.com.
In this way we are looking for partners and more developers for Phase II and we did a pre-launch event to show UBIQUO to many people from different areas for get it. Here you can see the complete presentation (in spanish, we are editing a short subtitled version) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM5dNW4lBdY. Since then we are having several meeting with potential partners and interested developers.
Progress of each specific objective per area
- Identify and define the applications that will be developed in beta phase of the project.
- Performance validation and API testing of different sensors.
- Complete the basic UBIQUO´s application development process to validate and test the experience from developer´s point of view.
- To develop the applications defined in first objective
- Production environment checking process.
- Search hardware manufacturers that produce for EASY CODE the compact hardware UBox.
- Exploring the legal issues that apply to the data or images.
- Studying protection technology developed.
Look for how to attract app developers in order to create a global community to share information and needs between programmers who want to develop new services based on this technology.
After our pre-launch event we have got a lot of new contacts and possibles new projects/prototypes. Our main goal is to start the community, this is a valuable active and source of experience, feedback and visibility. We are going to be also showing our first UBIQUO´s prototypes and will present UBIQUO to many different customers for the next Christmas campaign. For Phase II we are closing agreements with schools of new technologies (Tecnofor, St. Marcel Shool, etc.) and seeking support on spanish and international Universities to create the Xcool as a marketing strategy that will allow us to start a network of developers creating apps with UBIQUO. As we mentioned before we are also getting in contact with some Universities where we hope make some presentations to get new developers. We have planned to have by the end of this year around 100 active developers between freelancers, universities students and developers from companies. We are also looking for companies in the sectors identified as interesting and integrators introduced in these sectors for a wide commercial impact of UBIQUO in Phase III.