Periodic Reporting for period 2 - ImpAl (Improvements for a cost-effective volume production of advanced aluminum)
Reporting period: 2016-07-01 to 2017-11-30
At the start of the project, however, the advantages of PLM-Al could only be realized for a limited number of high performance applications because the production capacity was too low and (in consequence) the production costs were too high for a wider market penetration. Therefore, the ImpAl project aimed at expanding the production capacity for PLM-Al while reducing costs by 30-40%.
In short summary, the following results have been achieved:
The melt spinning process has been improved in several directions:
- Increased flow rate for large volume production by multi orifice draining nozzles.
- Successful application of reusable nozzles, providing stable and constant flow rates.
- Product cost improvements based on economy of scale.
Property improvements for binary AlSi alloys by advanced processing
- Alloys with up to 60 % by weight of Si are now available on volume production scale.
- All alloys exhibit consistent properties and quality on a superior level.
- Block sizes of up to 400 kg per piece have been produced successfully.
- Block sizes of up to 800 kg per piece will be available from Q4/2018.
- Parameters for cutting, milling and sawing of AlSi alloys have been evaluated.
- Appropriate cutting tools have been selected for precision machining.
- Commercially availyble tools with coating for improved wear resistance have been tested.
- Based on that, any size (small, medium, large) and very complex shapes are available
- PLM is prepared to share these results with customers (requires NDA).
Recycling of processing scrap
- High value processing scrap can be recycled successfully on different stages:
- Specially machining chips could be re-introduced into the production process directly.
- Results exhibit strong cost savings and less consumption of resources.
- An environment-friendly coolant for cutting / machining has been introduced.
As a consequence of the project, PLM can offer an extended product portfolio with added value for both PLM’s customers and for own purposes.