The project aims to develop an innovative food supplement consisting on a high concentrated emulsion of Omega-3 fatty acid EPA. Omega-3 is utilized as a treatment in psoriasis, arthritis, asthma, multiple sclerosis, chronic inflammatory, cancer, high TGs, retinal diseases and cardiovascular failure.
It consists of 15 ml liquid concentration of EPA, minimizing the level of saturated fats. It’s high concentrated -3 grams EPA/ sachet–, so it allows meeting the nutritional requirements in fewer dosages. Similar products in the market are constituted of maximum 1 gr. EPA, in which a higher concentration means higher level of saturated fats. Liquid form permits the dilution in other liquids, as milk, soup, or juice.
These features permit the following applications:
1) Clinical nutrition: most of cancer patients suffer cachexia or anorexia. EPA supports weight management, reduce the pro-inflammatory response and improve quality of life.
2) Dietary supplement: EPA helps maintaining the musculature and protecting the joints, so it is ideal for competition athletes.
Innovation is present in all aspects: application, as the multiple emulsions technology is applied to food products – normally it is applied in cosmetic or pharma-; product, as there are no products in the market offering such a high EPA concentration in liquid form minimizing the saturated fats; design, as it has liquid form; and solution, as the mentioned features constitute a solution for people having an extra requirement of fatty acids.
Goal in phase I is to develop a feasibility study, including a business plan which will cover all aspects of commercialization of LIFEOMEGA: technical, economical, risk assessment, IP, regulatory, bottle necks, market study, partner search, among others.
LIFEOMEGA has a great potential, as it is estimated that cancer patients receiving chemotherapy unfortunately won’t be less than 1 million/year during the next 11 years, in USA, Spain, France, Germany, UK and Italy.
Fields of science
- natural sciencescomputer and information sciencesdata sciencedata analysis
- medical and health sciencesclinical medicinesurgery
- medical and health sciencesclinical medicinecancer
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesbiochemistrybiomoleculeslipids
- medical and health sciencesbasic medicineneurologymultiple sclerosis
- social scienceseconomics and businessbusiness and managementcommerce
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call