The overall objective is to minimise the leakage of materials from the linear economy and work towards a circular economy. Specific objectives are to:
• Engage cities, enterprises, citizens and academia in 16 participatory value chain based partnerships to create and develop eco-innovative solutions together.
• Develop 10 viable end-markets by demonstrating new applications for plastic waste, metals (EEE devices), biowaste and wood waste.
• Develop a governance model for cities based on value chain based partnerships.
• Develop decision support tools and assess the actual impact by use of Big Data.
• Ensure replication through the FORCE Academy aiming at enterprises, citizens and policy makers.
The eco-innovative solutions will be demonstrated across four cities (Copenhagen, Hamburg, Lisbon and Genoa) and using the four materials:
Flexible plastics: Recycling and upgrade of 5,000 tonnes of flexible plastic from enterprises and private households will enable virgin material substitution, corresponding to preventing emissions of 12,500 tonnes of CO2.
Metals: Citizens will be mobilised to reclaim an additional 2 kg/capita of WEEE (app. 3,600 tonnes). A communication campaign will reach 100,000 citizens and support at least five SME’s that repair damaged EEE devices so that 10-20% of the collected WEEE can be redistributed.
Wood waste: additional 12,000 tonnes wood waste from urban and mountain areas will be collected. 8-10,000 tonnes of brushwood will be used for compost production, and 14-16,000 tonnes will be processed into wood particles.
Biowaste: around 7,000 tonnes of biowaste from the municipal mixed waste stream will be recovered: 3,000 tonnes coming from restaurants and hotels, and 4,000 tonnes coming from households.
The partnerships will result in the creation of viable eco-innovative market solutions, exploited by the partners. Replication in other cities will be incentivised thus ensuring competitiveness of European Circular Economy and green growth.
Field of science
- /engineering and technology/materials engineering/paper and wood
- /social sciences/economics and business/business and management/commerce
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/waste management/recycling
- /engineering and technology/environmental biotechnology/bioremediation/compost
- /social sciences/sociology/governance
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/theoretical physics/particles
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/data science/big data
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/inorganic chemistry/metals
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeIA - Innovation action
2695 709 Loures
1600 312 Lisboa
1500 045 Lisboa
1049 011 Lisboa
2725 305 Mem Martins