The proposing company, Molino Favero, has recently developed samples of innovative gluten-free flour mixtures based on rice and corn that after receiving a particular thermal treatment have happened to display a very low content of carbohydrates (about 30% instead of the usual 70%). This combination of gluten-free and low-carb properties is unique among existing flour products. Not only these new mixes maintain unaltered its benefits for people suffering from celiac disease but they will also be highly beneficial to prevent obesity (or overweight) and diabetes, which in the EU affect around 50% and 9% of total population respectively.
Developing a new variety of advanced gluten-free low-carb flour mixtures and producing them in tradable amounts will require developing new flour-processing technology, incorporating the advanced thermal treatment that allows reducing the low-carb index.
Our objective is that MOLYCEMIC flours will account for about 5% of the total EU gluten-free flour market within 5 years after commercialization, which will increase Molino Favero`s turnover by 50%.
Fields of science
- engineering and technologyother engineering and technologiesfood technology
- medical and health sciencesclinical medicineendocrinologydiabetes
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesbiochemistrybiomoleculescarbohydrates
- agricultural sciencesagriculture, forestry, and fisheriesagriculturegrains and oilseedscereals
- medical and health sciencesclinical medicinegastroenterology
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call