Tuberculosis (TB) remains a major global health problem with 9 million new TB cases and 1.5 million TB deaths in 2013.
Given that with a wide health care access to diagnosis, most deaths are preventable, TB mortality is still unacceptably high.
With TOPO-TB the aim is to develop the first rapid diagnostic kit based on detection of the activity of an essential enzyme of
the bacteria. A high degree of simplicity and low cost, in combination with mycobacteria detection in non-sputum samples,
will enable TOPO-TB to achieve high impact on Tuberculosis control and elimination. Importantly, the low resource
adaptable format meets the requirements of highly competitive TB test, complementing state-of-the-art methods for detection
at the point of care patient level.
Fields of science
- medical and health scienceshealth sciencespublic and environmental healthepidemics preventionimmunisation
- social sciencessociologydemographymortality
- social scienceseconomics and businessbusiness and managementbusiness model
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesbiochemistrybiomoleculesproteinsenzymes
- medical and health sciencesclinical medicinepneumologytuberculosis
- engineering and technologymedical engineeringmedical laboratory technologydiagnostic technologies
- social scienceseconomics and businessbusiness and managementcommerce
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call