Cancer is not only a leading public health challenge in Europe, it is also a growing economic challenge. Over three million cases are currently diagnosed each year across the continent. Forecasts show that by 2020 almost half of the population will be diagnosed with the disease in their lifetime. The cost of cancer for the EU is €126 billion per year and rising. The health and economic implications of cancer therefore provide a compelling business opportunity for technologies that can improve health outcomes and reduce treatment costs.
Surgery remains one of the primary treatments for cancer, yet surgeons lack the tools to identify accurately and remove cancer during an operation, resulting in costly re-operations and negative health ramifications. Lightpoint Medical has developed a molecular imaging camera (LightPath™) based on a breakthrough imaging modality, Cerenkov Luminescence Imaging (CLI). The technology can provide surgeons with real time intraoperative analysis of cancerous tissue to ensure the complete removal of cancer in a single operation. The device provides the potential for a dramatic reduction in costly re-operations and adjuvant therapies across a wide range of major cancer indications, proving not only an innovative solution for healthcare providers, but also a tool to substantially reduce cancer care costs.
CerISMA is proposed as a multi-centre clinical trial to confirm the clinical efficacy of LightPath™ in a lead cancer indication and to evidence the health economic impact of the technology. The project is vital for the company’s growth, fundamentally underpinning the company’s ambitious sales and marketing strategy across strategic target territories in Europe and the US.
Field of science
- /medical and health sciences/clinical medicine/radiology/nuclear medicine
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/electronic engineering/sensors/optical sensors
- /medical and health sciences/health sciences/public and environmental health
- /medical and health sciences/clinical medicine/cancer/head and neck cancer
- /medical and health sciences/clinical medicine/surgery
- /medical and health sciences/clinical medicine/cancer/prostate cancer
- /medical and health sciences/clinical medicine/cancer/breast cancer
- /social sciences/economics and business
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call