The objective of the OMI/HIC project is to provide low-cost, high-performance serial interconnect for the OMI. It will develop technologies to provide a range of cost/performance tradeoffs within a common protocol framework, at moderate distance scales, ie chip-to-chip, board-to-board, rack-to-rack and room-to-room. Target performance levels are 200 Mbaud, 700 Mbaud to 1 Gbaud, and 2-3 Gbaud.
The design of a higher speed digital signal (DS) link is nearly complete. Prototype complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) driver and receiver circuits for optical interconnect are being tested. A CMOS chip has been developed to provide a parallel interface to a 1 Gbaud serial link, with built in support for the lower levels of the protocol stack. A test chip has demonstrated feasibility of 3 GBaud in a bipolar CMOS (BiCMOS) device. A design study for a high-performance routing chip with advanced features has been done. A book has been published about DS-Links and their applications, and the protocols developed within the project are the basis for a draft IEEE standard, p1355.
The project aims to:
- double the performance of INMOS DS-Links to 200 Mbaud, and provide drivers/receivers for fibre optic interconnect at these speeds (using an encoding developed in the GPMIMD project)
- develop 1 Gbaud serial link technology, implemented in 0.5 micron CMOS, with protocols conforming to the OMI high-level interconnect standard
- evaluate BiCMOS as a technology for 2-3 Gbaud serial links on copper media and provide drivers/receivers for fibre optic interconnect at 1 Gbaud
- provide macrocells supporting the serial link technologies to the ELI library standards
- develop routing and interfacing chips based on serial link technology
- demonstrate use of the serial links on at least two different processor architectures
- demonstrate use of the serial links as a transport mechanism for SCI (IEEE 1596) protocols.
Topic(s)Data not available
Call for proposalData not available
Funding SchemeData not available
20010 Pregnana Milanese Milano
92039 Paris La Défense
92045 Paris La Défense