Periodic Reporting for period 1 - NAPANODE (Molecular Foundation of Structural and Dynamic Transformations in Novel Sodium-Ion Battery Materials)
Reporting period: 2017-03-01 to 2019-02-28
Dr. Marbella has also used her expertise to collaborate on other projects in Prof. Grey’s laboratory. One of the PhD students that Dr. Marbella supervises, Yanting Jin, studies the solid electrolyte interphase (SEI) that forms on silicon anodes for Li-ion batteries - anodes that show similar degradation issues to P, resulting in two publications. Dr. Marbella has measured 7Li diffusivities in novel niobium tungsten oxide electrode materials for use in high rate Li-ion batteries - materials that represent a new strategy to design electrodes, which was accepted for publication in Nature. Dr. Marbella used her expertise in pulse field gradient NMR to supervise PhD student Simon Engelke in Prof. Grey’s laboratory to study 1H and 7Li diffusion in anisotropic Si substrates. Dr. Marbella has also pushed the use of MRI techniques within the Grey group, and has supervised a PhD student, Anna Gunnarsdóttir, who focuses on using MRI to understand the role of the SEI in Li dendrite growth. In collaboration with Peter Bruce’s Group at Oxford, she has used MRI to monitor Li dendrite growth in garnet-type solid electrolytes for the first time – work that is currently being written up for publication.
Exploitation and dissemination:
1. Jin, Y.; Kneusels, N.-J. H.; Marbella, L. E.; Castillo-Martínez, E.; Weatherup, R. S.; Magusin, P. C. M. M.; Paul, S.; Grey, C. P. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2018, DOI: 10.1021/jacs.8b03408.
2. Griffith, K. J.; Wiaderek, K. M.; Cibin, G.; Marbella, L. E.; Grey, C. P. Nature, 2018, DOI: 10.1038/s41586-018-0347-0.
3. Marbella, L. E.; Evans, M. L.; Groh, M. F.; Nelson, J.; Griffith, K. J.; Morris, A. J.; Grey, C. P. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2018, 140, 7794.
4. Deringer, V. L.; Bernstein, N.; Bartók, A. P.; Cliffe, M. J.; Kerber, R. N.; Marbella, L. E.; Grey, C. P.; Elliott, S. R.; Csányi, G. J. Phys. Chem. Lett., 2018, 9, 2879.
5. Jin, Y.; Kneusels, N.-J. H.; Magusin, P. C. M. M.; Kim, G.; Castillo-Martinez, E.; Marbella, L. E.; Kerber, R. N.; Howe, D.; Paul, S.; Liu, T.; Wright, D.; Grey, C. P. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2017, 139, 14992.
1. WMG Battery School, April 12, 2018, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK (invited talk)
2. Gordon Research Conference: Batteries: February 25-March 2, 2018, Ventura, CA (poster)
3. Lunchtime Research Seminar, November 19, 2017, Darwin College, Cambridge, UK (invited talk)
4. 254th ACS National Meeting, August 20-24, 2017, Washington, DC (talk and Sci-Mix poster)
5. 21st International Conference on Solid State Ionics: June 19, 2017, Padua, Italy (talk)
1. Marbella, L. E.; Zekoll, S.; Kasemchainan, J.; Bruce, P. G.; Grey, C. P. in preparation.
2. Engelke, S.; Marbella, L. E.; Trease, N. M.; De Volder, M.; Grey, C. P. submitted.