European self-sufficiency rate for fish is just 44%, this means that more than half of the fish has to be imported into the EU. Fish is being transported hundred or even thousand kilometres before arriving to the European market. The imported fish has to be frozen to travel the long distances.
Ungermann, an innovative SME and technology leader in refrigeration technology, has developed FRISH based on previous research projects and vast experience in food preservation and refrigeration technology. The novelty of FRISH is the use of aerosol as air humidification in combination with ultrasonic waves to freeze and/or defrost fish and to reduce the energy input in the process improving the quality of the fish, and reducing the wastes (less damaged/decayed fish loss). While air humidification in the form of an aerosol of microscopic water droplets will allow a better heat transfer, thus a faster process and preventing product drying-out; ultrasonic waves will increase heat and mass transfer, thus reducing process time.
FRISH technology, aims to minimize the costs and at the same time, to increase quality of fish, to reduce the quantity of damaged/decayed fish caused by freezer burn, microbial contamination or low quality defrosting methods (up to 35%), to create a safe and microorganism-free system, to preserve the fish properties: taste, proteins, colour, consistency, texture and surface, to reduce time (up to 80%), to save energy (up to 70%), among other advantages.
FRISH will tackle two main social, environmental and economic concerns on the current world in the area of fish: food waste, and quality in food.
Fields of science
- social scienceseconomics and businesseconomicsproduction economics
- engineering and technologyother engineering and technologiesfood and beveragesfood safety
- agricultural sciencesagriculture, forestry, and fisheriesfisheries
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesacousticsultrasound
- engineering and technologymaterials engineeringcolors
- social scienceseconomics and businessbusiness and managementcommerce
- H2020-EU.3.2.4. - Sustainable and competitive bio-based industries and supporting the development of a European bioeconomy
- H2020-EU.3.2.1. - Sustainable agriculture and forestry
- H2020-EU.2.3.1. - Mainstreaming SME support, especially through a dedicated instrument
- H2020-EU.3.2.2. - Sustainable and competitive agri-food sector for a safe and healthy diet
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call