Periodic Reporting for period 1 - SATH (New twin floating platform for offshore wind turbines)
Reporting period: 2017-02-01 to 2017-07-31
The SATH platform concept is based on five fundamental principles, which are: the use of concrete, the geometry of the floats, the arrangement of the structure, the platform manufacturing and the innovative single mooring point.
SAITECs objective in the medium-short term is to have the SATH first real 1:1 prototype validated (DEMOSATH) in BIMEP in the next years, manufacturing and assembly of the prototype in 2018-2019, test, validate and demonstrate its performance in BIMEP during years 2019-2021.
First commercialization is expected for year 2020-2021"""
Objective: Analysis of the innovative value proposition that enables the sale of the product with enough profit margins to allow the return on investment and ensure the future sustainability.
Tasks: Four different tasks have been implemented during the project execution:
- Task 1: Market
- Task 2: Value proposition, business model and commercialization
- Task 3: Cost, revenues and funding scheme
- Task 4: Feasibility study
However, the main advantage of SATH platform is inside the floating offshore solutions. SATH will offer in all cases a total CapEx (construction, installation & assembly) reduction of 50%.
The main advantages of SATH against other competitors are:
- Efficient use of concrete: easy to find, reduced cost, lower maintanance costs, extra durability (beyond steel)
- Geometry of floaters: cylindrical geometry with an ovoid section allows important reduction fo the concrete shell thickness
- Arrangement of floaters: Stablizing plates at the platform bottom improves the platform stabilization and so the use of the wind
- Manufacturing can be done onshore and the towing made by a regular tugboat, reducing costs
- Single mooring point: which allows the platform to rotate freely around this single point and orientate it agains the wind.