"Antibiotic resistance is an increasingly serious European and global health issue both for humans and animals, limiting the treatment options — or making them less effective — while decreasing the quality of life. It also entails serious economic consequences in terms of rising health care costs and productivity losses. The presence of antibiotic-resistant micro-organisms in the food chain is a current problem since certain bacterial species traditionally considered “not dangerous” for human health may become “dangerous” because they act as a genetic reservoir, transferring information regarding resistance to antibiotic molecules to other bacteria which, instead, could be dangerous for human health.
Through our specialization, our company can make an important contribution to combating antibiotic resistance. In fact, Sacco srl is an Italian SME that produces and markets food-grade ""starter"" cultures.
The goal of this project is to help fight the spread of antibiotic resistance through the food chain. Instead of using chemicals (biocides) whose long-term impact is not known, we intend to achieve this aim through biotechnology.
We would in this way stay ahead of regulations, which we know are currently under preparation, and gain a competitive advantage that will translate into significant company growth in terms of personnel and turnover.
Fields of science
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesmicrobiologybacteriology
- agricultural sciencesanimal and dairy sciencedairy
- social scienceseconomics and businesseconomicsproduction economicsproductivity
- medical and health sciencesbasic medicinepharmacology and pharmacypharmaceutical drugsantibiotics
- medical and health sciencesbasic medicinepharmacology and pharmacydrug resistanceantibiotic resistance
- H2020-EU.3.2. - SOCIETAL CHALLENGES - Food security, sustainable agriculture and forestry, marine, maritime and inland water research, and the bioeconomy Main Programme
- H2020-EU.3.2.4. - Sustainable and competitive bio-based industries and supporting the development of a European bioeconomy
- H2020-EU.3.2.1. - Sustainable agriculture and forestry
- H2020-EU.2.3.1. - Mainstreaming SME support, especially through a dedicated instrument
- H2020-EU.3.2.2. - Sustainable and competitive agri-food sector for a safe and healthy diet
Call for proposalSee other projects for this call