Periodic Reporting for period 1 - FLIpER (The first on-board automatic ship hull management cleaning system for hull fouling prevention towards maritime eco-efficiency)
Reporting period: 2017-01-01 to 2017-05-31
The challenge of keeping the hull of a ship clean and smooth at all times, to reduce fuel consumption, emission of Green House Gasses (GHG) and avoiding the transportation and release of invasive species, is an ongoing struggle for the shipping industry. It is estimated that the global commercial fleet has an annual fuel penalty of € 13.2 billion, equaling 60.000.000 tons of fuel and 180.000.000 tons of Green House Gasses released into the environment, all due to hull fouling. Introduction of invasive species through hull fouling on ships, are a serious threat to any native biodiversity and many local marine environments around the world have been impacted by invasive species and in some cases completely eradicated the original marine life.
• Why is it important for society?
For obvious reasons, reducing the use of fuel and emission of GHG has a positive impact to the environment The numbers mentioned above is astonishing and should be addressed as soon as possible as it has an impact on the entire population and potentially an effect on global warming. Saving the local marine life and bio diversity from invasive species is for many societies an important task.
• What are the overall objectives?
To introduce an environmental solution that addresses the above challenge. Cliin’s cleaning solution will have the ability to:
-Constantly secure minimal fuel penalty
-Constantly keep emission of GHG to a minimum
-Minimize the transportation of invasive species
-Avoid dangerous work related to cleaning of ships’ hulls
-Avoid damage to ships’ coating
-Reduce/avoid the usage of toxic coating
• Determined that our technology is technically sound
• Needs to be automated, certified and comply with industrial standards
• The economic and environmental benefits need to be quantified.
• Cliin has started to map its future suppliers and distributors.
• Able to engage ship owners for demonstration activities
• We have Freedom to Operate in EU and Asia.
• Meets the current and future environmental requirements.
• The next testing phase was planned.
• Funding is required to give us first mover advantage.
Most importantly, we have during the project gotten clear confirmations that our inventive solution addresses the issues described above in a cost effective and manageable way, that shipowners appreciate.