Periodic Reporting for period 1 - ECOLED (Efficient and Low CO2 footprint B2B turnkey LED module with an innovative thermal solution)
Reporting period: 2017-02-01 to 2017-07-31
1) ECOLED (ECOLED1): a turnkey LED module, based on a patented technology (IF-T LED). The first generation has up to 75% lower aluminium content with excellent temperature management and a considerably smaller size. The latter is attractive to the target niche of design l luminaires.
2) ECOLED 2nd generation (ECOLED2): the second generation will increase the lifespan by a factor 2 to 3 and increase energy efficiency, which is particularly appealing to outdoor, industrial, office and commercial applications.
The advantages of LED lighting in terms of electricity usage and lifespan are renowned: compared to a conventional light bulb LED consumes 6 times less electricity and lasts 40 times longer.
Despite the perception that LED light bulbs have a lower temperature than conventional lamps, thermal management remains an issue. LEDs suffer from thermal issues like any other electronic device. ECOLED is solving this problem thanks to the patented IF-T LED technology which contains up to 75% less aluminium resulting in much smaller devices. Apart from better performance and longer lifespan than current LED lighting sources, ECOLED has a much smaller ecological footprint. SLL will introduce its first generation ECOLED in a first stage (phase I) in the selective market segment of residential design luminaires, with an end-user size of €100 million. After the ready-to-market feasibility analysis (objective of phase I), the second-generation ECOLED will deploy its full disruptive effect by entering the market of residential, industrial, office and outdoor lighting, a market of €2,5 billion in Europe, growing at 8% per year (Phase II). SLL forecasts sales above €50 million.
• Survey to customers
• Valuable feedback from potential customers
• Preliminary tech drawings to establish technical and economic feasibility and product supply chain
• 3D drawings for extended simulation and prototypes
• Market analysis that confirms the viability of the product
• FOI and IP search
• Sourcing and assembling of product
• Cost price structure
• Financial statement
Main results achieved:
• Feasibility of the product
• Clients involved in the development of the product
• Financial and marketing strategy
• Clear strategy in terms of technical developments
• Clear funding strategy for ECOLED1
• Anticipated ECOLED2, involving KIC Innoenergy
ECOLED2 will play out the temperature management functionality, creating a device that has a considerably longer lifespan. This advantage will have a disruptive effect for clients in the segment of residential, office, industrial and outdoor lighting.
In the second place, SLL’s business strategy offering a turnkey solution through tailor made sourcing and assembly keeps a big part of the value chain in Europe where the lighting sector - mostly SMEs – gives employment to 150.000 Europeans.