Periodic Reporting for period 2 - COASTAL (Collaborative lAnd Sea inTegration pLatform)
Reporting period: 2019-11-01 to 2021-04-30
The project brings coastal and rural economic operators, stakeholders and administrations together to develop practical market opportunities, business road maps and policy strategies. The overarching objective of COASTAL is to improve the rural-coastal synergies in strategic planning and decision making and support collaboration between coastal and rural actors. This will be achieved by developing, demonstrating and applying a generic toolset and key performance indicators by combining a multi-actor approach with system dynamics modelling. This allows us to understand the interactions with market, demographic, environmental and climate forecasts, and quantify the positive and negative externalities. COASTAL has six specific objectives:
- engage local and regional business entrepreneurs, administrations, stakeholders, and scientific experts in a multi-actor process for knowledge exchange
- quantify the physical, socio-economic and environmental coastal-rural interactions in the six representative case studies, based on available data and models, and make this knowledge applicable in a System Dynamics framework for policy analysis and business support
- derive practical business road maps and policy actions aimed at improving coastal-rural synergies and development
- develop, validate and apply generic, qualitative and quantitative tools for evaluating and comparing business and policy solutions
- deliver scenarios to explore the driving conditions and transition pathways that explore barriers and motivators for coastal and rural development, which can be transferred to other regions of Europe
- disseminate and exploit the project outcomes to local, regional, national, European levels, including global conservation and development networks.
- development of a transferable set of tools and indicators allowing the quantitative and qualitative description of a wide variety of economic, environmental and social land-sea interactions;
- a thorough understanding of the factors (barriers and motivators) influencing behavior and solutions to enable joint actions
- results are expected to contribute to the long-term improvement of sea water quality combined with the creation of added value and jobs in coastal areas and hinterland
- increased potential for job and added-value creation in coastal and rural areas by identification of new business opportunities;
- reduced negative and improved positive externalities from land-based activities in the regional hinterland on sea-based activities and from sea-based on land-based activities thanks to better economic cooperation and integrated governance
- creation of longer-term relationships between coastal-rural areas serving as European flagships for rural-coastal synergies and ensuring longer and wider dissemination
The project outcomes, consisting of local and expert knowledge, tools and a EU-wide network of Multi-Actor Labs will be generic and further developed beyond the project duration. This will help integrate existing rural and coastal development directives and exploit fragmented local and scientific knowledge to the maximum extent possible. The ultimate ambition of COASTAL is to contribute to the development of new harmonized policy guidelines at the regional, national and EU level.