Electric vehicles (EVs) hold the key to environmentally friendly transport for the future, but they are on an environmental and technological detour: Owners buy fuel cars because of range anxiety and charging typically takes hours, not minutes.
Nerve Smart Systems has invented and patented the B-HPC (Buffer-High Power Charger). The battery and control system of the B-HPC enables delivery of ultra-fast-charging power (350 kW) by using low-power grid connections.
The B-HPC can charge a vehicle in the same time as it takes to fuel a conventional car, and with benefits such as significantly lower initial grid installation costs, low stress on grid and low total cost of ownership, the B-HPC is the missing link for a large-scale roll-out of EVs.
The B-HPC will be 30% cheaper than current state-of-the-art fast chargers today, increasing to 44% cheaper by 2023, as it scales better with large volume manufacturing. As it also performs better it will be an attractive choice when approx. 25 million chargers will be put out in Europe alone in the coming years (market value approx. €600bn). Through own label and particularly license agreements, Nerve Smart Systems foresees a revenue of €500m globally in six years’ time.
The objectives of the project are to build and test a 350kW High Power Charger, demonstrate fully working systems that can be used as pre-marketing for later sales, and ensure scalability of both technology and business to prepare for roll-out to international markets.
Field of science
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/electrical engineering/power engineering/electric power transmission
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/energy and fuels/energy conversion
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/electrical engineering/electric energy
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/energy and fuels/renewable energy
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/organic chemistry/hydrocarbons
- /natural sciences/mathematics/pure mathematics/topology
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/electronic engineering/automation and control systems
- /social sciences/economics and business/business and management/commerce
- /social sciences/social and economic geography/transport/electric vehicles
- H2020-EU.3.4. - SOCIETAL CHALLENGES - Smart, Green And Integrated Transport
- H2020-EU.2.1.1. - INDUSTRIAL LEADERSHIP - Leadership in enabling and industrial technologies - Information and Communication Technologies (ICT)
- H2020-EU.2.3.1. - Mainstreaming SME support, especially through a dedicated instrument
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call