Conjunctivitis is a major health issue affecting more than 1100 million people worldwide. Currently, the market for bacterial & allergic conjunctivitis is mainly covered by antibiotic eye drops and ointments, which have undesired effects in the eye microbiota and contribute to increase the resistances of pathogenic strains. Other treatments such as anti-inflammatory and antihistaminic drugs have also undesired side effects and are not useful as an immediate solution.
AB-BIOTICS, a company with a broad expertise in developing functional ingredients for the pharmaceutical industry, has developed an innovative solution based on the use of probiotics. Probiotics are live micro-organisms allowing a fast and stable reestablishment of a healthy eye microbiota by providing: (1) faster anti-inflammatory and anti-histaminic effects; (2) antagonism to pathogens with no resistance risks; (3) protection against future/recurrent infections; and (4) avoidance of common side effects such as intraocular pressure rising.
The effects of the selected probiotic strains have been validated through functional in vitro and in vivo tests and its safety for ocular application has also been assessed in toxicity trials in animal models. The industrial scaling up of the strain has already been achieved and is now ready for galenic formulation.
In order to determine the key steps to bring PROBIOTEARS to the market within the next 2 years, the objectives of the presented feasibility study are:
• Assess clinical ophthalmologists & users associations interest
• Determine the most suitable formula for ophthalmic use
• Define IPR strategy
• Perform a deeper market & competitor analysis
• Find key partners to carry out Supportive Clinical Trials in phase 2
• Assess Regulatory Requirements
PROBIOTEARS is a solid high-potential innovation project aligned with AB-BIOTICS’ strategy which is expected to reinforce its European & global dimension, and generate an EBITDA of 2,14M€.
Fields of science
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesmicrobiologybacteriology
- medical and health sciencesclinical medicineophthalmology
- medical and health sciencesbasic medicinepharmacology and pharmacypharmaceutical drugsantibiotics
- medical and health sciencesbasic medicinepathology
- medical and health sciencesbasic medicinepharmacology and pharmacydrug resistanceantibiotic resistance
- H2020-EU.3.2. - SOCIETAL CHALLENGES - Food security, sustainable agriculture and forestry, marine, maritime and inland water research, and the bioeconomy Main Programme
- H2020-EU.3.2.4. - Sustainable and competitive bio-based industries and supporting the development of a European bioeconomy
- H2020-EU.3.2.1. - Sustainable agriculture and forestry
- H2020-EU.2.3.1. - Mainstreaming SME support, especially through a dedicated instrument
- H2020-EU.3.2.2. - Sustainable and competitive agri-food sector for a safe and healthy diet
Call for proposalSee other projects for this call