Genomcore aims at creating a new compatible interface for DNA-based biometrical identification consider-ing the exponential growth of public (governmental) and private repositories of complete genomic se-quences. These genomic databanks, containing Whole Exome Sequencing (WES) and Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS) data, commonly used for healthcare and biomedical purposes, can be a massive source of inexpensive and reliable DNA fingerprints with broad applications in forensics, law enforcement and identification purposes.
This system will be based in the count of short-tandem repeats (STRs) allowing collation with existing CODIS and CODIS-based databases . Additionally, the company wants to explore a method for generating DNA fingerprinting based on the hashing of Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms (SNPs), which can lead to a potentially cheaper and fast-er mechanism for collating biological samples with the database. The generated fingerprints will always be complete-ly devoid of any personal, health or private information, thus enabling identification while ensuring privacy protec-tion.
Genomcore Identity can represent a qualitative leap in biometric identification since:
1. Addresses the controversial topic of using public and commercial genomic databanks for biometric identification, while preserving the privacy of the DNA donors through the proxy.
2. Provides a controlled, extremely valuable and yet inexpensive solution to authorities for collating new DNA profiles with already existing genomic databases, extending DNA forensics to use cases that are unfeasible nowadays (i.e., a fast identification of large cohorts of victims in accidents or terrorist attacks).
3. Provides legacy compatibility with CODIS profiles but also offers a new option to use SNP hashes, offering higher sensitivity, shorter response times and a ~50% less cost than existing methodologies.
4. The SNP hashing technique has the potential to use the new generation of portable DNA sequencers.
Field of science
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/databases
- /natural sciences/biological sciences/genetics and heredity/nucleotide
- /natural sciences/biological sciences/genetics and heredity/genome
- /social sciences/law
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call