Periodic Reporting for period 1 - EXA2PRO (Enhancing Programmability and boosting Performance Portability for Exascale Computing Systems)
Reporting period: 2018-05-01 to 2019-10-31
1.Increased applications performance based on EXA2PRO optimization tools (data and memory management)
2. Efficient exploitation of heterogeneity by the applications that will allow the evaluation of more complex problems.
3. Identification of trade-offs between design qualities (source code maintainability/reusability) and run-time constraints (performance/energy consumption).
4. Evaluation of various fault-tolerance mechanisms for applications with different characteristics.
EXA2PRO outcome is expected to have major impact in:
1. The scientific and industrial community that focuses on application deployment in supercomputing centres: EXA2PRO environment will allow efficient application deployment with reduced effort.
2. On application developers of exascale application: EXA2PRO will provide tools for improving source code maintainability/reusability, which will allow application evaluation with reduced developers’ effort.
3. On the scientific community and the industry relevant to the EXA2PRO applications. At least two of the EXA2PRO applications will have significant impact to the CO2 capture and to the Supercapacitors industry.
In particular, the project delivered initial and detailed requirements for both the programming environment and the EXA2PRO applications. The high-level EXA2PRO API was defined and reported, along with detailed guidelines for EXA2PRO users. The initial specification of the composition framework and the selection of suitable tools was also completed. The project delivered first results from EXA2PRO modules in EXA2PRO applications and benchmarks. The EXA2PRO runtime system was extended with performance modeling and steering techniques and first experiments concerning cluster-level fault tolerance techniques were conducted. The project defined the testing and verification strategy. A significant achievement was the development of the first framework prototype. A detailed plan on the exploitation of the EXA2PRO framework by each application and reference implementations for each one were delivered.
Various dissemination activities took place during the first project period, including 12 publications, 21 presentations and invited talks and 3 press releases. A preliminary exploitation plan was also delivered by the end of the first year.
Specific innovations that have been produced so far, based on the original publications of the project up to now, include methods for skeleton programming in heterogeneous computing, applicable to CPU/GPU and DFE, novel techniques for technical debt forecasting and new approaches to arithmetic-aware approximation.
In the remaining period we expect to produce additional innovations with respect to skeleton programming, fault tolerance support and multi-criteria scheduling, evaluated in the EXA2PRO applications.
Also, the project is expected to have significant impact on domains related to the EXA2PRO applications. More specifically, the project will enable economically viable CO2 capture solutions for the European industry with reduced time-to-market of new products and processes. Thus, it will contribute to reaching the goals of Paris agreement for climate change. Additionally, EXA2PRO will enable the design of new types of supercapacitors and will contribute in efficient and environmental-friendly transportation. Finally, it will enable better understanding of human neuron networks and contribute in effective diagnosis and therapy support (e.g. epilepsy)