Let the artificial light shine in!
Modern greenhouses and indoor farms usually need to irradiate crops with artificial light because there is not enough sunlight. High-intensity discharge luminaires like metal halide or sodium vapour lamps are widely used and considered a cost-efficient solution. In this context, the EU-funded flexiLED project will bring to market a dynamic precision lighting solution for large-scale greenhouses and indoor, urban farms. This new technology can irradiate each crop with precisely the spectral composition that is best for its light-induced development (photomorphogenesis) at any given moment from germination until harvest. The new LED luminaire includes diodes with eight different peak wavelengths and an additional broad-spectrum white light.
Fields of science
- natural scienceschemical sciencesinorganic chemistryalkali metals
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectronic engineeringsensors
- medical and health sciencesbasic medicinephysiology
- agricultural sciencesagriculture, forestry, and fisheriesagriculturehorticultureurban horticulture
- natural sciencesphysical sciencestheoretical physicsparticle physicsphotons
- H2020-EU.3.2. - SOCIETAL CHALLENGES - Food security, sustainable agriculture and forestry, marine, maritime and inland water research, and the bioeconomy Main Programme
- H2020-EU.3.2.4. - Sustainable and competitive bio-based industries and supporting the development of a European bioeconomy
- H2020-EU.3.2.1. - Sustainable agriculture and forestry
- H2020-EU.2.3.1. - Mainstreaming SME support, especially through a dedicated instrument
- H2020-EU.3.2.2. - Sustainable and competitive agri-food sector for a safe and healthy diet
Call for proposalSee other projects for this call
Funding SchemeSME-1 - SME instrument phase 1
See on map