Smart Separations (SSL) has developed a proprietary ceramic filter that can be tailored to suit many different applications in the underdeveloped, yet global microfiltration industry.
This unique and patented ceramic membrane structure consists of highly ordered and self-assembled microchannels that transverse the entire membrane cross-section. It can be made into a filter system to provide a more controlled, versatile, and low-cost solution for several industries, including indoor air purification.
SSL has identified the application of the technology to purifying indoor air by heavily reducing carbon particulates, dust, pollen, odours and chemicals in air more efficiently and affordably than current methods - to be our entry market (an established substantial global market currently worth over €15 billion annually).
Our innovative product can be retrofitted into existing air ventilation units, regardless of their brand or size. This will mean that the existing market can continue to flourish, while SSL will “simply” plug their new product into existing pipeline to improve the quality of the air people breathe – it is worth to note that current technologies do not yet supply purified air, which we intend to deliver.
We have established strong business partnerships with important players of the global indoor air ventilation market, which present a huge opportunity for the fast market uptake of our technology. Our clients and partners have high interest in our solution, which will gve the a innovtion leading role among their customers with disruptive novel applications that are more reliable, durable and cost-efficient.
Within 5 years, after this Phase 2 grant ends, the company will reach a turnover in excess of €6m annually. This will be accompanied by an increasing number of employed staff, growing from 7 to 36. We are committed to keeping our RDI, Manufacturing and Management operations in Europe.
Fields of science
- engineering and technologymaterials engineeringcoating and films
- engineering and technologymaterials engineeringceramics
- natural sciencesearth and related environmental sciencesenvironmental sciencespollution
- engineering and technologychemical engineeringseparation technologies
- medical and health sciencesmedical biotechnologycells technologiesstem cells
- engineering and technologyenvironmental engineeringair pollution engineering
- social scienceseconomics and businessbusiness and managementcommerce
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call