Periodic Reporting for period 1 - ESTiMatE (Emissions SooT ModEl)
Reporting period: 2018-11-01 to 2020-04-30
The project ESTiMatE is dedicated to the development of advance soot models and its application in combustion simulations for the prediction of soot formation from chemistry oxidation to particle formation at conditions of relevance for aeroengines.
ESTiMatE has defined the following specific objectives:
1) Identification of the main precursors and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) for soot formation from the analysis of chemical kinetics of kerosene-like surrogates.
2) Identification of chemical paths for soot formation from precursors and PAHs.
3) Generation of detailed and reduced chemical kinetics for fuel oxidation that also account for soot chemistry.
4) Development of particle size distribution models to represent the dynamics of soot.
5) Integration of the developed chemical kinetics and soot models into different turbulent combustion models.
6) Development of a primary breakup model for air blast injectors based on high-fidelity numerical simulations.
7) Development of reference experiments for combustion from laminar to turbulent conditions to generate specific data for model development and validation.
8) Implementation of the different models into Rolls-Royce code PRECISE-UNS.
9) Assessment of models for the prediction of soot under conditions relevant to aero engine combustors.