Periodic Reporting for period 1 - PureNano (A purification/regeneration process of spent plating baths base on functionalized magnetic nanoparticles.)
Reporting period: 2019-06-01 to 2020-11-30
PureNano proposes a novel method for an in-situ purification/regeneration process of plating baths from contaminants and undesirable chemical species hindering the operation of the bath. PureNano proposes an innovative, low cost, sustainable method for purification of plating baths which will lead to a significant extension of their life having, as a result, the decrease of operation expenditures of plating shops, the decrease of environmental risks from the transportation of spent baths and the increase of process efficiency and products quality. It is based on the timely treatment of plating baths with functionalized magnetic nanoparticles (MNPs), that can absorb in their surface the contaminants and chemical species that are accumulated.
PureNano’s objectives are in accordance with the topic SC5-01-2018, targeting in the fast and low-cost purification of spent plating baths and thus promoting aspects of circular economy and reuse of secondary raw materials, as plating solutions and metal ions.
The main objectives can be summarized as follows:
- Production of Hybrid MNPs by one-step precipitation process appropriate surface functionalization.
- Develop a purification method by designing a separation for the MNPs that will be integrated in the plating bath lines.
- Set up a demonstrator by designing the PureNano process in an electroless and electrolytic lines.
- IPR protection by organizing an IPR strategy describing the IPR handling procedures.
- Market identification by identifying the most promising exploitable results.
- Development of a one stage phase (formation with simultaneous functionalization) of MNPs and characterization of the MNPs produced (MS3 “First successful operation of the upscaled MNPs production line”)
- Study of specific functionalization routes of MNPs using bio-degradable biopolymers (chitosan, cellulose, starch, lignin) (MS4 “Anionic coating Functionalization of MNPs and formulations established”)
- Design of the purification plant and development of engineering documentation (conceptual, basic, detailed engineering) for the efficient purification of the plating baths utilizing the MNPs. Preliminary experiments for safe disposal/recycling of the used MNPs.
- Preliminary Health & Safety hazard analysis, activities for a circular business model, standards identification, definition and organization of training activities, ongoing LCA and LCC analysis, exploitation and dissemination activities.
The ongoing activities aim at presenting to the European industry a novel recycling/purification technology that may present significant benefits for the plating industry and address the EU’s sustainable objectives. The development of this new technology has already created new knowledge on nanomaterials and on the ways to effectively use them in markets related to waste water treatment such as the plating industry. Future activities aim at presenting the technology to new markets and increase the competitiveness of the industries that will adopt the technology which will also create new job opportunities for highly skilled directly or indirectly involved in the industrial application of the technology.
Finally, the one step production method for MNPs as well as the simple design of the purification system and its potential use in other waste water treatment industries apart from the plating industry, will increase competitiveness and growth of companies adopting the technology. Demonstration activities as well as MNPs reuse methods to be implemented in the next reporting period will be an opportunity for strengthening the competitiveness of the European industry, moving decisively towards a prosperous and sustainable economy.