Periodic Reporting for period 2 - Arrowhead Tools (Arrowhead Tools for Engineering of Digitalisation Solutions)
Reporting period: 2020-05-01 to 2021-04-30
The digitalization of industrial processes and systems seems to be the answer to those problems but brings up a number of challenges to the existing manufacturing systems:
- High investment cost on data acquisition and management elements and tools (sensors, CPS, servers, SW…)
- Excessive engineering and personnel costs (time) due to the efforts in the integration of tools and systems (engineering cost)
- Interoperability issues due to the heterogeneous nature of the data structures produced by different engineering tools.
The Arrowhead Tools project’s main objectives are:
- Engineering cost reduction by 20-50% for a wide range of IoT and SoS automation/digitalization solutions.
- Tool chains for IoT and SoS digitalization/automation engineering and management, adapted to:
- Interoperability for IoT and SoS engineering tools
- Interoperability and integration of data from legacy automation engineering tools to the Arrowhead Framework integration platform
- Integration platform interoperability with emerging digitalisation and automation framework
- Flexible, interoperable and manageable security for digitalisation and automation solutions
- Efficient training of professional engineers
The whole concept of the project is based on an open source framework, Eclipse Arrowhead. Eclipse Arrowhead has been updated and improved in the latter years in other ECSEL projects (Mantis, Productive4.0). The Eclipse Arrowhead architecture and technology is based on micro services and SOA. A core concept is local clouds that consist of multiple systems offering micro services. A local cloud is defined as a closed group of industrial assets within a physical proximity. The Arrowhead Framework local cloud provides a number of basic core services enabling fundamental service-oriented properties like e.g.service registration, service discovery, authentication and authorisation. This framework enables the collaboration of systems to exchange data or functionality meeting automation system requirements such as real time availability, security and safety or the choreography/orchestration of automation functionalities.
The Eclipse Arrowhead architecture and reference implementation also provides the foundation for reduction of engineering costs. Some remarkable results exceeding the stated objective has been achieved already within the second year of the project.
The high level video https://youtu.be/vf28cQVgPss gives a high level introduction to the integration enabled by Arrowhead Tools results.
The project has developed a consolidated Engineering Process model that relies on Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) and can be implemented using the integration Arrowhead platform. The activities are provided for each of the eight proposed engineering phases. The goal is to elaborate and consolidate an “Arrowhead" system engineering procedure model that can be used to describe the Use Cases implemented in the project. An interesting example thereof is the work on creating an extension to SysML that integrates Eclipse Arrowhead to the SysML modelling language while at the same time automatic integrating solution models to usable code using on of the major software development environments, Eclipse IDE.
An engineering procedure enabling both design time and run-time engineering of automation and digitalisation solutions related to production, products and services has been developed based on SOA. This process is supported by the integration of engineering tools into tool chains using SOA. Thus both automation and digitalisation solution and the necessary engineering process with its tool chains can be visualised in an integrated way. A tight integration between the engineering process and the Eclipse Arrowhead architecture and the SysML modelling and associated automation of solution coding has already been demonstrated. This integration is planed to be released open source during the 3:ed year of Arrowhead Tools.
Legacy tools employed in the use cases have been identified and gaps towards the stated Tool chain architecture have also been identified. Multiple prototypes for closing these gaps has been developed e.g. adaptors for OPC-UA, Z-Wave, MODBUS-TCP.
During this second period, the flexibility, security and robustness provided by the Arrowhead Framework has been further updated to version v4.3.0.
Training and training material has been defined and executed to several types staff in the value network of the use cases within the project.
Cost reduction of digitalisation/automation system engineering generated by:
- IoT and SoS digitalisation and automation integration platform - Eclipse Arrowhead framework
- Integrated engineering tool chains providing cost efficient solution implementations
- Proposal to extend existing standards (SysML) with Industry4.0 data exchange, sharing and archiving engineering processes
- Production cost reduction generated by
-- Enabling of fine grained automation based on IoT and SoS system integration platforms
-- Functional and stakeholder integration
- Production flexibility, speed and quality improvements generated by
-- Efficient engineering processes for run time production changes
-- Efficient usage of virtual twins for run time quality assessments
- New tools and integrated tool chains provided to the market
- IoT development tools enabling high degree of automated code generation for integration to SoS platforms like e.g. Eclipse Arrowhead framework
-SoS engineering tools and tool chains
- Integration of data from legacy automation engineering tools with SoS engineering and management tools
- Integration of data from IT security management tools with SoS platforms like Arrowhead Framework