Unprecedented measurement of exotic light and matter interactions
There are so many exotic particle interactions and quasi-particles around these days, it can be hard to keep them straight. Among them are polaritons, hybrid particles consisting of a photon strongly coupled to an electric dipole. Recently, researchers discovered that thousands of known materials likely harbour so-called topological states, exotic phases of matter so far identified in just a few hundred. The EU-funded TOPLASMON project is exploiting a cutting-edge measurement system that will enable scientists to study polaritons in topological materials, revealing novel topological polaritons for the first time and opening the door to a burst of new research into condensed matter and nanophotonics.
Fields of science
- natural sciencesphysical sciencescondensed matter physics
- engineering and technologynanotechnologynano-materialstwo-dimensional nanostructuresgraphene
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesopticsmicroscopy
- engineering and technologynanotechnologynanophotonics
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesopticslaser physics