Taking full advantage of microalgal powerhouses
Microscopic algae are single-celled organisms. Highly effective producers of biomass for biofuel production, these little organisms are poised to play a major role in industrial-scale production of clean renewable energy. However, only a small portion of their biomass is used in this way. The rest is a treasure-trove of natural compounds of great interest to markets such as biopharmaceuticals and nutraceuticals. These are currently wasted because biorefineries cannot cost-effectively retrieve them. AlgCoustics is developing a pioneering extraction technique that promises to isolate them in a single step, providing incentive to biorefineries while also supplying natural compounds-of-interest to numerous other industries.
Fields of science
- engineering and technologyenvironmental engineeringenergy and fuelsrenewable energy
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesbiochemistrybiomoleculeslipids
- engineering and technologychemical engineeringseparation technologies
- engineering and technologyindustrial biotechnologybiomaterials
- agricultural sciencesagricultural biotechnologybiomass