Periodic Reporting for period 1 - GeoUS (Geothermal Energy in Special Underground Structures)
Reporting period: 2020-01-01 to 2021-03-31
The consortium is designed to create the best conditions for transfer and development of research strategies between partners. The partners have excellent links with businesses (large and SMEs) which is interesting for enhancing industry-academia research collaboration and also with the City Authority of Ostrava, the Moravian-Silesian Regional Authority and other authorities at national level to share the results.
The close cooperation between partners helps to increase the capacity and capabilities of VSB-TUO in geothermal energy and related areas, develops a research training framework to stimulate the transfer of knowledge and expertise across research groups and helps to follow the priorities set under the smart specialization strategy for Czech Republic 2014-20. The ultimate goal of the twinning activities is the development of multi-disciplinary research and innovation skills in the Czech Republic, focused on the fundamental and practical aspects of developing geothermal as a sustainable energy source.
The overall objectives of the GeoUS are the following:
- Transfer knowledge and build excellent research, through collaboration between VSB-TUO and two leading European institutions focused on geothermal energy.
- Increasing scientific excellence in geothermal energy and related areas.
- Improving the scientific excellence and research capacity of VSB-TUO.
- Motivation master degree students to develop their career in scientific area of geothermal energy.
- Increasing the capacity of VSB-TUO for participation in future high-quality research activities and innovation.
- Increasing VSB-TUO’s involvement in the scientific and industrial community of geothermal energy exploitation.
- Widening the visibility of VSB-TUO as a center of excellence for thermal energy.
Summary of main activities performed in the reporting period:
- Project launch, establishing of the project team, kick off meeting, 2 MC meetings, 33 team meetings.
- Launch of project website.
- Organization of the Opening Conference.
- Establishing of mentoring groups and performing joint activities.
- Organization of 3 Webinars.
- Preparation of the concept of the Summer School 1 (program, plan of activities, organizational points).
- Continuous work on building scientific networks.
- Collaboration on publications in mentoring groups.
- Preparation of the concept of Training at VSB-TUO 1 (program, plan of activities, organizational points).
- Preparation of the concept of public engagement with defined tasks and activities.
- Working on lessons and educational instrument for public engagement.
- Brochure 1 in Czech and English language informing on the project topic and partners´ involvement.
- Set of Dissemination and Communication activities.
There were 2 research workshops planned in the reporting period. These activities were postponed due to the situation caused by Covid-19. The workshops will be organized at the later stage.
- 3 research project proposals submitted in international calls for proposals (1 accepted and being implemented since 01/01/2021) and 1 research project submitted at national level based on industrial partner needs
- Organization of the Opening Conference which initiated cooperation with partners from academia and business sector.
- Establishing of mentoring groups and performing joint activities leading to scientific cooperation and publications.
- Set of dissemination and communication activities.
In the coming months, it will be crucial if the current pandemic situation allows travelling. The majority of important project activities with high impact on results is based on networking, meeting, internships and teamwork. The team members incl. the ESR will travel abroad, meet their partners from Finland and Germany and work together with them. The project team plans to modify the schedule of the project activities in order to achieve that all project activities will be realized as planned in the Grant Agreement.