Periodic Reporting for period 1 - PLASTDEINK (Water based process for the delaminating and deinking of surface printed plastic)
Reporting period: 2019-09-01 to 2020-08-31
Since 1950s more than 8.3 billion tonnes of plastics have been produced worldwide (348 million in 2017 ). From this, almost 80% have been landfilled or leaked into the ocean increasing more and more the negative environmental impact (leachate and greenhouse gases). Currently, more than a quarter of the plastic production is packaging, growing 5% per year, which only 14% is recycled while the rest is incinerated (14%), leakage into the environment (32%) and landfilled (40%).
Plastdeink has born to solve the main recycling problems that affects the EU since the last decades:
- Multilayer plastic is not recyclable
- Inked recycled plastic packaging goes to downcycling
- Post-industrial plastic never end in the market
Plastdeink is a unique technology able to delaminate and deink laminated and surface-printed film. CADEL DEINKING (a technology-based SME founded in 2014) has developed an innovative, environmentally friendly and low-cost process to delaminate & deink printed plastic scraps.
Plastic (delaminated and deinked) obtained with this process has a similar quality to virgin plastic, what converts it in a high value product for several applications. The product obtained with Plastdeink is a 45% cheaper than virgin plastic.
CADEL´s proposal has the objective to contribute to a real Circular Economy in the frame of EU plastic waste policy for mono and multi-material flexible packaging.
CADEL´s delaminated & deinked technology is an important breakthrough for the plastic industry. Plastdeink represents a business opportunity to our potential customers: the process removes inked, odours and delaminate in one step to reintroduce the plastic into high-added value applications.
- Plastic converters will be able to use their own plastic scraps, instead of buying new virgin plastic (so much expensive)
- Plastic recyclers will be able to produce high value-added plastic at a low production cost.
The overall objectives of the project are:
- Complete design of the 250 kg/h demonstration plant
- 250 kg/hdemonstration plant installed and engineering of the industrial plant ready
- Definition of CADEL product and service portfolio, contracts, management of IPR and certification of PLASTDEINK processes/products
- Exploitation strategy organization to be ready to reach the market after finishing phase 2 project
- Validation of delaminating and deinking technology at pre-industrial conditions with different types of plastics (LDPE, HDPE, PP and PS)
For that end, during the first period of the project, CADEL has finished the following technical activities:
- Deinking and delaminating optimization in pilot plant (WP1)
- Compact design of the demonstration plant (WP2)
- SCADA automation of the demonstration plant (WP2)
- Installation and setting up of the demonstration plant (WP3)
Moreover, CADEL started working on the implementation of its own business model based on the PLASTDEINK technology, by developing the following activities:
- Company services, legal issues and contracts management (WP4)
- IPR management, patentability analysis and knowledge protection (WP4-5)
- Management of the certification process of the technology (WP4)
- Sales model development (WP5)
- Business plan development (WP5)
- Communication and dissemination activities (WP5)
- Project coordination and administrative/financial management (WP6)