Periodic Reporting for period 1 - SafeNcy (SafeNcy - the safe emergency trajectory generator)
Reporting period: 2019-11-01 to 2021-04-30
FRANCE AVIATION CIVILE SERVICES (FRACS), CGX AERO, METSAFE, UNIVERSITAT POLITECNICA DE CATALUNYA (UPC), ENAC and EUROCONTROL propose through SafeNcy an automated support to the pilot in emergency situations by providing the analysis of possible solutions to land the aircraft in classic and non-classic areas and with an unplanned trajectory.
The overall objective of the SafeNcy project is then to bring a support to the pilot in the flight management and decision making in emergency situations with degraded aircraft capabilities. In particular:
- Gather and classify possible emergency landing sites and provide a nearby database of these possible landing sites for four use cases;
- Define a risk assessment methodology and propose recommendations related to the emergency landing of the aircraft for onboard part (aircraft, passengers…) and ground part (cities, dangerous ground sites…);
- Develop a landing site selection algorithm for a given situation including aircraft remaining capabilities, meteorological environment, and landing site suitability for the aircraft;
- Develop a trajectory generation algorithm computing the best trajectory between the current aircraft position and the selected landing site taking into account the situation, the environment and the evaluated risk;
- Ensure that the new selected trajectory can be transferred into a future FMS;
- Enhance and accelerate the decision-making process of emergency solutions definition for pilots without increasing their workload in such a critical situation.
The objectives of this work package were to define the operational and technical context to address. It mobilised the whole team around several meetings as technical and Advisory Board workshops to share the thoughts and complementary visions about the concept and perimeter to be addressed. Similar approaches or activities, operational procedures, on-board systems and state of the art for the concept have been investigated to define the first operational requirements.
WP2- Domain driven analysis of landing site selection and trajectory generation techniques
The objectives defined for the work package has been met. The main concepts of SafeNcy have been identified and challenged by the whole consortium. Furthermore, state of the art for each module and data type has been performed. A model has been proposed for the landing site database and the format to exchange landing site and associated information has been defined. Landing site criteria as well as methods for classification and ranking have been defined.
WP3- Development of the landing site selection capability
WP 3 led to the specification and the development of a first prototype of landing site generation module, validated by the partners and the topic manager. The prototype will be refined in the second part of the project in order to enhance the off-airport generation capability and refine the landing site selection criteria.
WP4- Development of the trajectory generation capability
WP 4 led to the specification and the development of a first prototype of trajectory generation module, validated by the partners and the topic manager. The prototype will be refined in the second part of the project in order to improve the performance of the algorithm.
WP5- Integrated capability verification and validation
WP 5 tackles with the verification and validation activities, aiming to ensure thorough test of the integrated tool and validation of the different case studies. These objectives were aimed by means of an ad-hoc simulator development, interfaces integration and a verification and validation plan definition. The skeleton of the detailed validation test plan has been agreed, and its development has been started. Additionally, the tasks involving an early integration of modules have been started through coordination meetings and through the correct validation of preliminary files input.
Finally, the work package has led of the specification of the simulator, defining the phases and main functionalities, in order to line up the system needs under the expert’s grasp.
WP6- Maintenance/adaptation and final delivery
Not started yet.
WP7- Project Management
This WP focuses on the organisation and coordination of the various activities. For the technical work, regular project meetings are organised to foster an agile methodology and identify the challenges, upcoming risks and define adjustments. The administrative activities mainly concerned the Consortium and Implementation Agreements management.
The communication, dissemination and exploitation activities have been impacted by the COVID-19 situation. Nevertheless, papers and articles have been submitted for virtual events or future events. Additional dissemination and communication material are expected for the next reporting period, as long as participation to aeronautical events.
The innovation potential of SafeNcy is quite important and relies mainly in the following domains:
- Within the FMS Domain, by leveraging new functions for the cockpit of the future, bringing operational reliability and increasing flight safety. The Integration within the Cockpit / future FMS demonstration platforms shall be a first step which will pave the way toward industry integration.
- Within the Operational / SWIM Services domain: SafeNcy algorithms requires and will leverage new operational services, as the implementation of an emergency landing site Datastore (DAAS mode) with the most real-time oriented capability of providing pre-established and re-computable landing sites for various usage, the provision of new meteorological services with the right parameters / layers within the different altitudes ranging from cruise level to very low-level ones. SafeNcy will also bring major inputs in terms of concept of operations by addressing the means of interaction with the Airlines Operations Control Centres (OCC), the air traffic centres and the Search and Rescue (SAR) operational units.
- Within pilots training and recurrent operational training: by embedding ENAC, French Air Force Academy / Active pilots and French Air Safety Investigators Bureau, the Advisory Board will bring the full complementarity to design and build new ways to manage abnormal/ emergency situations.
Thus, SafeNcy will lead to improve the mono-pilot innovation trend by reducing workload in ab-normal and critical operations and improving safety in order to reach sufficient safety level enabling the reduced crew operations. SafeNcy will contribute to the main Clean Sky 2 socio-economic target ensuring a sustainable, smart and safe mobility, helping to maintain European industrial leadership.