Just the facts, please!
Journalism is about disseminating facts. As such, a reporter’s job is to check the facts being presented to the public. In recent years, the verification of social media content has become increasingly important to journalists and news organisations. The proliferation of social media means a larger volume of claims to verify; therefore, automated verification methods could help journalists assess the truthfulness of claims. The EU-funded AVeriTeC project will use machine learning approaches to develop an automated verification system that can process complex claims that require multiple pieces of evidence to cross-check. AVeriTeC’s ultimate goal is to establish the verification of textual claims as a real-world challenge to stimulate progress in natural language processing, machine learning and related fields.
Fields of science
- social sciencesmedia and communicationsjournalism
- natural sciencescomputer and information sciencesdata sciencenatural language processing
- social sciencessociologyindustrial relationsautomation
- natural sciencescomputer and information sciencesartificial intelligencemachine learning
- social sciencessociologydemographyhuman migrations
Funding SchemeERC-COG - Consolidator Grant
CB2 1TN Cambridge
See on map