Periodic Reporting for period 1 - HIPPJ (High-performance Independent Platform for low-cost big data ProJects)
Reporting period: 2019-06-01 to 2019-11-30
Providing access to affordable basic technologies can have a strong impact on the competitiveness of European companies. It can enable innovation, unlock IT budget for value-added developments, help technology independence, favour economic growth and ultimately increase employment.
• A thorough market analysis, including the a comparative analysis of competing products, their technology portfolio and market position.
• The technical benchmarking of the main competitors, involving installation, functional analysis and stress test with the YCSB benchmark.
• The identification, analysis and evaluation of alternative strategies for CherryTable.
• The definition of the strategic, technical, marketing and financial plan.
• The documentation of the business plan.
CherryTable is also a sustainable technology, designed according to green software principles. Software is the driver of computing capacity requirements and, in turn, computing capacity is the main driver of the energy consumption of data centers. For each Watt spent to power a CPU, 25 Watts are spent to power the data center hosting that CPU. This suggests that a small reduction of CPU usage obtained by running greener (faster) software can provide significant energy savings. With other technologies, increasing speed and reducing energy consumption are contrasting objectives, but a good software can achieve both simultaneously.