Periodic Reporting for period 1 - FR8RAIL III (Smart data-based assets and efficient rail freight operation)
Reporting period: 2019-09-01 to 2020-10-31
- Condition based maintenance
- Real-time Network Management
- Intelligent Video Gate Terminals
- Extended Market Wagon
- Telematics & Electrification
- Freight Loco of the future Summarizing, FR8RAIL III focuses on various facets of the freight eco system with one goal: overall improvement and increase of competitiveness of the rail freight transport.
The current report covers the period from the beginning of the consortium, September 2019 to the end of December of 2020.
During this period the consortium has submitted six deliverables, one is already approved and five are waiting of feedback from the European Union, the deliverables submitted are:
Del Rel. No Title
D1.4 Development of the surround sensor module for integration in the demonstrator, following Specification of surround sensor solution under GoA2+
D1.5 Interfacing the ATO module with the traction and brake control of the testing locomotive and Pre-study of TMS interface for testing the interrelation with ATO
D1.6 Integration of sensor solutions in the testing locomotive for experimental proof of concept, Preparation of a testing plan including resources and infrastructure measures
D1.7 Documentation and evaluation of test results, proposal of next steps. Performance of functional GoA2+ freight ATO demonstrator in specified testing scenarios
D5.2 Final dissemination and communication report: publications in different communication channels, e.g. press release/ newsletter
During this period there has been a late start in activities of some work packages, nevertheless the foundation has been laid and the work package teams are progressing adequately in their field of work.
In general terms the progress of every work package can be summarized as follows:
- WP1 - Conditioned Based Maintenance: the WP team provided different results for their tasks. Task 1.1 was concluded with submission of D1.1. Task 1.2 is in progress with its D1.2 in preparation mode. Tasks 1.3.1 and 1.3.2 of the main task 1.3 are both in progress, whereas the task 1.4 is expected to start in August 2021. Task 1.5 is an alignment task to WP3, and it is undergoing. D1.1 was submitted on 30th September 2020, D1.2 is expected to be submitted in the 3rd quarter of 2021. The due date of rest deliverables is in 2022. MS1 was achieved on 20th September of 2020.
- WP2 – Real-Time Network Management: There has been progress done in this WP. No deliverables and milestones regarding this WP were planned for 2020, however the D2.1 was submitted on 3rd March 2021 and the MS2 was achieved on 28th February 2021.
- WP3 – Intelligent Video Gate: Tasks 3.1 and 3.2 were finalized with the submission of D3.1 (2nd November 2020). Task 3.2 experienced some delays because of the covid 19 restrictions. Not all intelligent video gates could be installed. Tasks 3.3 and 3.4 are in the on-going work with D3.2 which is expected to be submitted in June 2021. M 3 was achieved on 14th August 2020.
- WP4 - Extended Market Wagon: the WP team provided significant results in tasks 4.1 and 4.2. However, the task 4.3 is experiencing some issues regarding the delays in FR8RAIL II. Task 4.4 did not start in 2020. Also, there were no deliverables and milestones planned for 2020.
- WP5 – Telematics and Electrification: the work package team has made progress in Tasks 5.1 – 5.3 and the structure of deliverables D5.1 and D5.2 is created for submission in Mid 2021.
- WP6 – Freight Loco of the Future: the work package team has made progress in Tasks 6.1 – 6.3 although the late start of activities to due Covid 19.
- WP7 – Management: All meetings have been performed during the period including Steering Comities, TMTs and regular Work Package Team meetings exchange.
• A 10% reduction of maintenance operational expenses to increase rail freight business competitiveness
by use of CBM
• A Reduction of the total operating costs for the vehicle and infrastructure by up to 30%, by use of
the Extended Market Wagon
• An enhanced environmentally friendly performance through high energy efficiency
propulsion systems by 10%;
• A 20% punctuality increase for freight trains arrivals/departures to and from yards by use of realtime network management
WP 1 Condition Based Maintenance: Due to continuous surveillance of locomotives and their
components, failures and malfunctions may be detected earlier leading to improved safety in train
operations. Moreover, improved service quality and more competitive freight rates may contribute to
shift larger freight volumes to freight rail services.
WP2 Real-Time Network Management: The role of different organizations and professionals as
timetable planners and dispatchers are under development due to digitalization and automation.
Competence issues are important, also to understand what competences are needed, as well as the
availability of relevant and effective training programs for staff.
WP3 Intelligent Video Gate: With the IVG the working processes of yards and intermodal terminals
is digitalized and automated. By this better working conditions for staff are created, such as less
manual work and a better interface towards customers.
WP4 Extended Market Wagon: The new extended market wagon concept will improve the noise
emission level significantly by using optimised running gears with suspension and damping
technology known from passenger trains. The chassis’ fully covered underfloor means aeroacoustical and aero dynamical design which in addition will improve the total acoustical behaviour
of wagons and lead reduced noise pollution of the residents.
WP5 Telematics & Electrification: Due to the continuous collection of information from the Wagon
Monitoring system part of the wagon intelligence, failures of wagon assets may be detected earlier
together with CBM leading to improved safety in train operations. Therefore, Wagon Monitoring
System benefits are linked to CBM benefits. The Cargo Monitoring System part of the wagon
intelligence will help the logistics chain with information of the cargo status, providing updated info
of the Estimated Time of Arrival (ETA), status of the goods, etc.
WP6 Freight Loco of the Future: Thanks to the improved energy efficiency of the traction chain and
the higher operational flexibility thanks to traction batteries, WP6 contributes to the shift of freight
transport to rail, improving the overall carbon footprint and sustainability of freight transport.