The role of stress on specialised cellular hubs
Stress threatens the organism's homeostasis inducing changes in metabolic demands from the brain, while in chronic conditions it can lead to behavioural changes and even psychopathologies. The EU-funded aMUST project aims to investigate the mechanisms implicated in stress responses, focussing on the role of mitochondrial–endoplasmic reticulum (ER) associated membranes (MAMs). Using endoscopic methods, scientists will study mitochondrial dynamics in stress-vulnerable brain regions and determine MAM composition in response to stress. They will also explore various strategies to alleviate stress-induced alterations, opening the possibility for the development of novel therapies against stress-related conditions, including anxiety and depression.
Fields of science
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesbiochemistrybiomoleculesproteinsproteomics
- natural scienceschemical sciencesinorganic chemistryalkaline earth metals
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesopticsmicroscopyelectron microscopy
- medical and health sciencesbasic medicinepathology
- medical and health sciencesbasic medicinephysiologyhomeostasis