NEWSPAD is an OMI application project in the multimedia consumer market area. Its overall objective is to design, implement and pilot a multimedia news broadcasting system, where the information is disseminated via digital communication means (such as satellite/terrestrial digital broadcasting and ISDN), and delivered through a low-cost, small size, low weight, fully-featured portable multimedia device. Broadcasted information includes news, entertainment, education and advertising. However, for the sake of simplicity the term "multimedia newspaper" will be used.
The project concentrates on both the hardware and software components of the delivery system and on the required software for the authoring system. However, the project takes into account all aspects of the service: data collection, data storage (multimedia object databases), multiuser authoring environment, distribution to consumers and final delivery. The detailed objectives are to:
- set the foundations for a strong European participation in the multimedia news broadcasting business and pull key OMI technology to the multimedia mass market
- implement an innovative approach for application projects
- define and describe the NEWSPAD products
- design and develop a low-cost, small size, low weight, fully-featured portable device for the delivery of the multimedia newspaper
- implement three controlled pilots
- produce two multimedia newspaper demonstrators (multimedia titles)
- provide a multiuser authoring environment
- provide the required technology and infrastructure for the broadcasting of the multimedia newspaper during the pilots.
CB4 4AE Cambridge