The objectives of the EMERTA project are:
1. To establish the feasibility of using emerging NGSS services 'as they are' to meet Air Traffic Service (ATS) and Airline Operation Centre (AOC) requirements. This will include the definition of a European-level NGSS demonstration/validation project.
2. To support a European input to international standardisation activities in such forums as ICAO and RTCA/EUROCAE, insofar as they are concerned with the technologies and concepts covered by Project EMERTA.
3. To provide inputs to the specification of detailed requirements for a second generation of Low/Medium Earth Orbit (LEO/MEO) satellite systems and services, for deployment beyond the year 2005.
4. To assess the practical feasibility of the early introduction, in the European ATM environment, of one or more selected ADS-B/ASAS application scenarios, paying particular attention to safety and transition aspects. This will be supported by an outline indication of the cost/benefit issues associated with the scenario(s).
5. To develop initial indications and guidelines on how to deploy ADS-B in Europe, in the context of the ASAS concept, in terms of the potential requirement for reserved airspace and how best to deal with a mixed aircraft population (where some aircraft have an ASAS capability, but others do not).
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
31060 Cede Toulouse
WC2B 6TE London
1059 CM Amsterdam