The objectives of this project are:
- to develop alternatives to low frequency electrical stunning which are humane;
- to improve bird welfare during holding, live bird handling, stunning and bleeding;
- to improve product quality and reduce losses due to haemorrhages in meat and broken bones in the carcasses;
- to develop technologies and basic design parameters for new stunning and processing equipment.
Specific objectives are:
- to develop and evaluate standard methods for measuring welfare, quality, processing and design parameters;
- to study the effect of stunning poultry with various electric current waveforms and frequencies, mechanical methods and gas mixtures on bird welfare;
- to study the effects of new stunning methods on live bird handling and processing operations of carcasses with respect to product quality, operators safety and costs;
- to develop appropriate modifications to bird handling which are humane and will have favourable effect on product quality;
- to develop alternative processing methods;
- to introduce new stunning methods and processing technologies which are humane and economically feasible, and which also reduce loss, improve quality, consumer acceptability and labour conditions.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
3700 AM Zeist
5830 AC Boxmeer
BS18 7DY Bristol