The problems associated with low fat meat product manufacturing will be examined in a comprehensive way, ranging from molecular interactions, ultrastructural characteristics, model meat systems, process parameters to consumer acceptability.
Five targets will be met by the end of the project:
1. better understanding of the molecular transformations and associations in meat products on reducing fat;
2. flavour release, perception and identification of essential flavour components and interactions in reduced fat products;
3. characterisation of the ultrastructural and rheological properties of low fat meat products;
4. new processing technologies and optimisation of existing technologies;
5. limitations on processing of reducing fat in products - safety and consumer concerns reported.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts