- To determine the needs for the electronic exchange of data between institutions with responsibility for the surveillance of communicable disease at national level within the European Union.
- To determine the requirements necessary to establish a common communication methodology to support European communicable disease surveillance networks using dedicated networks, public commercial networks and the Internet.
- To determine the present use of communications networks including dedicated networks, public commercial networks and the Internet by institutions with national responsibility for communicable disease surveillance in Europe and neighbouring states.
- To establish the European added value of enhanced communications and to identify the elements of communicable disease surveillance activity which would benefit from improved international communications.
- To make recommendations for the future development of electronic exchange of information between institutions with national responsibility for communicable disease surveillance centres within the European Union.
The project will seek to define a common methodology for electronic communication between institutions with responsibility for national surveillance of communicable disease within the European Union. As a first step the present level of access to and future plans for use of different electronic networks will be ascertained. The need of institutions with national responsibility for the surveillance of communicable disease and for the electronic interchange of communicable disease information will be surveyed The components of international surveillance which would most benefit from the establishment of electronic communications between these institutions will be determined. The work will be undertaken through a series of site visits and by the application of survey instruments which will be generated in collaboration with all the partners.
It is envisaged that the project will result in the specification of requirements for a European wide network for institutions with responsibility fo communicable disease surveillance at national level.