The tasks of this project are :
- to develop a cost-effective processing route for the deposition of silicon carbide layers onto system components for critical tribological applications requiring combination of wear and corrosion resistance, particularly those which will be operating in fluids with poor lubricating properties.
- to establish optimum precursor cermet powder characteristics for subsequent processing via low pressure plasma spraying.
- to systematically optimise the deposition process using the results from a comprehensive study of coating wear and corrosion behaviour and physical property measurements.
- to redesign and manufacture complex components to accommodate plasma sprayed coating.
- to produce and test coated components under conditions of severe corrosion and wear. Identify coating compositions and processing routes for specific applications.
- to compare the behaviour of silicon carbide cermet coating with that of existing state-of-the-art cermet and ceramic coatings, such as tungsten carbide-cobalt and chromium oxide materials.
- to identify those applications which would benefit from the substitution of existing bulk or coating materials with a silicon carbide based cermet layer.
Funding Schemeundefined - undefined
36031 Dueville Vicenza