The main objectives of the project are the improvement of ship predesign technical quality and the reduction of time for preparing tenders.
The main results achieved are basically three:
- a new, structured ship predesign process, with a rationalized control structure and a hierarchical organization,
- the specifications of a S/W system capable of implementing the new predesign approach for a practical application of it.
- a S/W prototype implementing the new predesign methodology.
While the first two are conceptual results, the latter has a very practical concern and, although it has been mainly developed for testing purposes, it is new available for an immediate use of the new methodology.
The above results solve some of the problems which were present in the predesign phase, that is:
- the need for a global view of the whole process which results provided with a consistent, prioritized control structure and a flexible, modular organization,
- the need for the integration of tools and procedures,
- the reduction of the time required to prepare an offer,
As a consequence, these improvements contribute to the objectives of the project here below stated:
- improve the technical quality of the predesign activity and
- reduce the time required to prepare tenders,
hence increasing the competitiveness of the European shipbuilding industry.
But not everything has been successfully faced; some aspects are still to be solved, namely:
- uncertainty calculation areas within the predesign activities are still present,
- cost parameters have not been configured as design variables within the predesign process, hence the goal of obtaining a balanced technical-economical offer has not been achieved;
Nevertheless, further improvements are expected from the adoption of the methodology and the extensive use of the prototype (as it is or after an engineering to make of it an industrial product) for either the aspects already fixed and the ones not yet solved.
These will be achieved by the development of a new approach (methodology) and by the implementation on computer of a prototype of the developed methodology.
Funding Schemeundefined - undefined