Objectives and content
The objective of PROFILE is the development of an optimised process for the production of fibreboard. It will minimise the use of resources (wood, energy) and environmental impact. The fibreboard produced with this new process will be an environmentally friendly superior quality product based on renewable resources. Due to the high quality of the end-product, PROFILE has the potential to substitute plastic materials by a natural wood fibre product in the automobile industry (moulded internal parts) as well as drill base plates in the electronic industry. It will allow easy non-polluting disposal and recycling of the product after usage.
PROFILE will improve the fibreboard production process by:
- reducing the electrical energy for dewatering by more than 60%; - increasing the dryness after mechanical dewatering to about 50% as opposed to the present value of 30%-35%;
- reducing the thermal energy by more than 20%;
- reducing pressing time and therefore increasing throughput by between 20% and
- improving the quality of the plate.
PROFILE will achieve its objectives by designing and building: - A new Refining Process. Through the use of high speed refiners operating at 3,000 rpm under very strictly controlled conditions, a reduction of 20% mainline energy consumption will be achieved without decrease in fibre quality.
- A new Dewatering Process. The use of double wire pressing instead of a conventional Fourdriniere machine will lead to increase in dryness, and thus larger throughout, reduction of electric power consumption (through elimination of the vacuum pumps), a decrease in the thermal energy requirement and an improvement in plate quality.
- A new Control Process. Total control to guarantee high quality at the new operating conditions will be achieved through new sensors for the acquisition of on-line information and the adoption of high-level AI-based control strategies to tailor the raw materials and process conditions to the desired fibreboard output (product property design).
PROFILE is an end-user driven project. The impetus behind the development comes from the final end-users of the system: the fibreboard manufacturer, who leads the project (FUNDER) and the automotive components manufacturer (PIANFEI) who uses fibreboard as a raw-material. PROFILE is concerned with the development of machinery and plant automation, and the project includes both a machine manufacturer (ANDRITZ) and a large automation equipment manufacturer (SIEMENS). Apart from the end-users and manufacturers, the Consortium also includes a specialised Software Designer (BMT) and a Measuring Equipment Specialist (IAF). The system will be validated in the fibreboard plant of the leading partner and the automotive components plant of PIANFEI.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
TW11 8LZ Teddington
12080 Pianfei Cuneo