Newly developed C-frame EDCM machine including new CNC, man-machine-interface.
Hybrid generator for EDM and ECM enabling high power EDM.
Ecological filtering systems for water based dielectrics and electrolytes.
Sludge fractioning systems for hydrocarbon dielectrics, water based dielectrics, electrolytes and grinding coolants.
Vapor exhaust systems for dielectrics.
Machining strategies containing the EDM/ECM process.
Industrial use of the EDCM technology in the mould making process.
Fume filtration unit suitable as well for ECM and EDM with various types of working fluids: Hydrocarbon, water based.
Objectives and content
Industry in the European Union faces ever-increasing global competition, especially with the two great economic areas of the USA and South-East Asia. In order to secure a competitive lead, EU companies need to secure a position in future key technologies and improve current technologies in economic and ecological terms. Especially in tool- and diemaking, where dies and tools for a very wide range of processes and products are manufactured, further sophistication of currently-used technologies can save resources (raw materials, energy), reduce waste and create new products and applications. It is still virtually impossible to generate three-dimensional geometries in a tempered material by means of a milling process. This is especially true when sharp-edged internal contours or large depth/width ratios have to be realized. Electro-Discharge Machining (EDM) will therefore continue to be the most widely-used tool- and diemaking process. The "ECOPROD" project will significantly enhance the cost-effectiveness of this process. In order to achieve this goal, a consortium covering all relevant aspects has been formed. The main steps needed to attain this objective are listed below:
- Construction of an EDCM (Electro-Discharge and Electro-Chemical Machining) machine, using Electro-Discharge Machining for roughing and prefinishing and Electro-Chemical machining for fine finishing (ONA);
- Development of a special hybrid generator for both processes (TU Magdeburg);
- Development of an appropriate CNC control and a user-friendly menu-led user-interface (Mikroa);
- Development of special high-performance hydrocarbon- and water-based dielectrics and special electrolytes for ECM processing (Oel-Held);
- Development of special filter systems for dielectric and electrolyte conditioning (ONA and Transor);
- Development of special sludge treatment methods for recycling sludge components, dielectrics and waste products (Separex);
- Development of special smoke suction and treatment systems to ensure the cleanest possible human-friendly working environment (Delta-Neu);
- Development of a technology and production strategies for the EDCM production cycle (WZL);
- Manufacture and testing of components generated using the EDCM production cycle (ASCAMM).
Applications for dies and moulds produced in this way exist in many important economic sectors.
For example, it is possible to produce forging dies (automotive industry), diecasting dies (automotive industry, aeronautic industry etc.), moulds for injection moulding (plastics industry) and dies for pressing and massive forming operations.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts