The drying process is a very important step in the technological cycle for the fabrication of ceramic products. In this project, we wish to concentrate on experimentation and the collection of data to compare microwave drying with conventional methods. Therefore, we are going to construct a prototype microwave system to conduct these tests also to demonstrate the drying of refractories with complex shapes, porcelains, sanitary ware and wall tiles. The possible objectives in summary are:
1. Reduce the lengths of conventional drying cycles.
2. Improve the quality of products and decrease the number of pieces with defects.
3. Reduce the space occupied by the driers.
4. Reduce the material present in the system at any one moment. .
5. Consume a clean energy without combustion products in the factory.
6. Study the energy and economic benefits.
7. Define the characteristics of an optimum microwave system for processing ceramic materials. It is worth emphasising that the experimentation with the demonstrational furnace is of considerable importance of industrial SME'S, the results possibly promoting the installation of innovative and alternative clean technology driers in place of those more traditional.