Main Deliverable Achieved:
All the technical objectives have been achieved with a certain number of molecular variants.
A specific software program has been developed to manage and display the researchl it has been called "SP Process".
Mechanical Designs and Prototypes:
1. no. 1 chemical laboratory pilot plant
2. no. 1 technological laboratory pilot plant
1. no. 2 pre-industrial pilot innovative fire-retardant production and dosing plants
2. no. 1 pre-industrial pilot mixing and dosing plant for the innovative fire-retardants
Results of pre-industrial application tests:
1. production of 15 ton. of the different kinds of fire-retardant
2. on-line application of the fire-retardants on several dozen m3 of various reconstructed wood panels (in particular: linen particle-board, wooden particle-board, plywood, veneers and rotary veneers)
3. production tests on intermediate manufactured articles made using reconstructed wood panels treated with the innovative fire-retardants (in particular: particle-board surfaced with melamine and laminates, laminates surfaces with veneers and rotary veneers)
3. fire tests performed by the partner Istituto Masini and by the University of Ghent
4. analysis of smoke and gassy emissions
3. mechanical tests
Further to the exploratory phase relating to the EC contract 'BRST-CS5 0047', the project's proposer companies LINOPAN (Belgium) and COOPLEGNO (Italy), have entrusted the carrying out of the final research to the company SAINT PETER s.r.l. (Italy), which has been nominated project coordinator. The research feasibility study has been carried out by Saint Peter, and is fully described in the final project illustrated herein which is expected to last approximately 12 calendar months. Numerous companies have been contacted during the exploratory phase, and 4 of these have been selected to take part in the final phase : Alpi, a world leader in the production of veneers : Chemsa, for the production of the chemicals : Veronesi, for the construction of dosing plant and the Istituto Masini, which will carry out a complementary function to Saint Peter's. SECTORS : The research aims to use an innovative molecule to generate a non-toxic fire-retardant additive for reconstructed wood (particle-board, plywood, veneer, mdf, hdf) developing the application by the partners in this field of Saint Peter's fire-retardant know-how and related patents, which have already been demonstrated to be effective in thermosetting polymers. OBJECTIVES : INDUSTRIAL : to produce manufactured articles from reconstructed wood protected by Saint Peter's innovative fire-retardants, with limited modifications to industrials plant and no loss of productivity; ECONOMIC : recent market research confirms the constant growth in the demand for flame-resistant products, particulary if they are treated with non-toxic additives which release no toxic gases upon contact with a flame. Our research aims to provide manufactured articles with full flame protection and reach the social, technical and environmental targets, while keeping the cost of the additive at the level of the toxic alternatives currently available on the market; SOCIAL : to create new market niches in order to maintain or raise sales and thus safeguard or even increase jobs; TECHNICAL : to obtain full certification for the fire-retardant additive throughout Europe; not to affect the technical characteristics of the manufactured articles; ENVIRONMENTAL : to develop fully non-toxic fire-retardant additives which prodce no harmful gases in the event of combustion and are therefore environment-friendly.
Funding SchemeCRS - Cooperative research contracts
12056 Mango Cuneo
41014 Castelvetro Di Modena Modena
20017 Rhò Milano
12065 Monforte D'alba
41043 Castelfranco Emilia Modena