Objectives and Concise Description
- Establish the range of research and active policy programs on environmentalvaluation being undertaken by institutes, non-governmental organizations and governments in Europe.
- Review the work of research programs related to environmental valuationcommissioned by the European Community DGXII and other DirectoratesGeneral in key environmental topic areas, as well as work of Europeanresearch groups.
- Set-up a European network of organizations actively working on environmentalvaluation issues both at the theoretical and policy levels.
- Access and, where necessary, translate into English any identified relevantand important work on valuation for dissemination and discussion.
- Commission subject literature reviews if deemed necessary in key areas.
- Assess the state of the art and validity of environmental valuation in arange of specific policy areas, and identify gaps in current understanding.
- Recommend a programme of future interdisciplinary research on environmentalvaluation in the decision making process. In this way provide a concretefoundation for progress towards solving the policy problems which will havebeen identified in the current use of environmental valuation for achievingsustainable development, while also pointing out where research is neededinto wider concepts of value that can be brought into the policy arena.
These objectives will be achieved via a series of international workshops, which will result in reports, special issues of academic environmental journals, and books. An interdisciplinary coordinating committee will be help identify key topic areas and designing brainstorming workshop sessions. Approximately ten workshops are proposed, each will select a topic, analyze the current understanding with regard to valuation, and discuss the topic with invited experts. Each workshop will involve an interdisciplinary international team.
Funding SchemeCON - Coordination of research actions
750 07 Uppsala
NR4 7TJ Norwich
38071 La Laguna
LA1 4YG Lancaster