1. Develop a series of designs of new sustainable patterns for the low density residential areas that improve the environmental adequacy of current solutions. In that way proposed patterns have to be adapted to the specific character of Mediterranean landscapes as a climatic and cultural region. These patterns will be designed to act today in the same way as traditional constructions in urban and rural developments have done versus environmental policies and will function as an appropriate alternative to current touristic and suburban settlements very inadequate from the point of view of sustainability and not concerned with supporting and improving the identiy of regions in South Europa.
2. The design of an informatic product that permits to introduce projectual arguments in the definition of parameters that describe territories in a global environmental vision and then an IAM -integrated assessment model- which introduces, in addition to the well - known system of environmental factors of common IEA, the visual and cultural aspects and, in that sense, to integrate planning policies with design issues of transformation.
Work content outline :
1. Elaboration of an IAM (4 entries: environmental factors, image and cultural heritage aspects, planning and management, socio-anthropologic factors).
2. Design of new touristic/ low density residential patterns.
3. Definition of the conditions assumed by the patterns (feedback the IAM).
4. Verify the adecuacy of patterns. Introduction of uncertainty factors as probable alternative scenarios. Readjustment of the design of the patterns.
5. Verify the capacity of the areas through the multiplication of the selected patterns, establishment of limiting situations.
6. Configuration of criteria of implementation of new patterns in the Mediterranean region.
7. Final formulation of the Integrated Environmental Assessment.
From the point of view of the methodology, two entries of work are proposed. The first deals with the analysis of 6-12 land units of 400 Km2, to the scale of 1:25.000 (during the process through a sequential zoom we reach the scale 1:2.000) in countries such as Spain, Portugal, Greece, South of France and the South of Italy, understood as reference areas of characteristic landscapes. The second one consists of the research of new patterns based on recent needs associated with touristic developments and new lifestyles such as rural and "telework" developments and the study of the traditional types of residential units to the scale 1:2.000. Both are the basis to elaborate an IAM that can be translated in an inforrnatic product directed to evaluate criteria of a sustainable implementation of new residential pattems in the mediterranean region.
Claimed innovative aspects of this proposal include:
- the introduction of visual parameters in the environmental assessment. The role of the image is considered basic in the pondering of values, especially in areas where sustainability is supported by the touristic evelopment or in deteriorated ones where the achievement of a "good landscape" is vital for their revaloration.
-the incorporation of cultural factors in the environmental assessment which are considered as a means for the modeling of the form and the establishment of strong points in the area of cultural heritage. In that sense, the study of basic traditional settlements is of great significance.
- to consider the feed back process -patterns-IAM- to the re-design of new patterns and first proposal of IAM with the aim on one hand to integrate patterns into appropriate areas and on the other to directly improve both them and the IAM.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
07071 Palma De Mallorca