To investigate the possibilities to use WAELZ slag as a civil engineering material, not harmful to the environment, instead of dumping it.
The project consists of the following main tasks :
- to compare existing standards and specific testing procedures for leachability and mechanical stability;
- to better understand :
* the processes controlling the leaching mechanisms,
* the changes occurring in chemical speciation during long-term exposure to external (weathering factors),
* the physical processes occurring during long-term exposure to weathering and how they govern the alteration of mechanical characteristics.
- to specify operating parameters of WAELZ furnaces which change the mineralogical constitution of slags in order to decrease the leachability and to increase mechanical strength.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts