WASAC is aiming at providing a common platform for understanding the stability of savannah region soils in relation to soil organic matter and emissions, nutrients and plant growth, different management types and the need for increased food production. This knowledge is essential for identifying the net carbon balance in terms of the Kyoto protocol.
In the project:
- existing data on carbon and gas emissions will be identified and collated;
- different plant covers will be considered as management options;
- effects of fertilizers and fires will be integrated with the vegetation concept;
- a data base will be established for savannah carbon and nitrogen data;
- a synthesis volume on soil carbon and gas emission will be produced;
- guidelines on sustainable management will be elaborated by topic groups;
- in two languages. The project is directly based on experience from bilateral cooperation and a EU contract.
Funding SchemeACM - Preparatory, accompanying and support measures