Objectives of the project
The project will provide new directions for improving the definition of agri-environmental policies in the European Union.
The study will compare the evolution of agri-environmental policies and actions of six local areas in France, Italy and the UK. It will model the beliefs and knowledge of farmers, the social interactions between the farmers and other agents, and the agri-environmental situation in each locality. A simulation will be created from these models which will be valuable to policy makers al the regional, national and EU levels in improving agri-environmental politics.
Zones of study
The study will focus on 2 zones in each EU state involved in the project:
- In France, 2 zones will be chosen among Ari0ge, Jura, LozOre, Auvergne, Var.
- In Ihe United Kingdom, Breadblane Environmentally Sensitive Area (ESA) of Scotland, and the North Yorkshire ESA will be selected,
- In Italy, lands in the Po valley and Friuli Hills (North East Italy) will be selected.
The project involves 4 partners specialized in the socio-economy of and agriculture and environment (I team of Cemagref, University of Edinburgh, University of Milan, University of Udine), and 3 teams specialized in cognitive and social simulalions (1 team in Cemagref, University of Surrey, Ecole Normale supérieure).
Main steps of the project
1. The data collection and treatment will be performed in parallel to the specifications and implementation of the simulation model. 2. The software will be tested, analysed on collected data, and submitted to the criticism of a panel of farmers and institutional actors. The models will be improved after initial tests and lacking data will be collected. 3. A second analysis of the software will be performed in an explorative purpose.
4. Dissemination tools will be designed, integrating demonstration parts of Ihe software: a CD Rom, a World wide web site.
The creation ot new knowledge about adoption / non adoption of agri-environment schemes, and the design of a computer simulation for modelling the impact of agri-environmental policies. Moreover, the dissemination of the results through modern media (CD Rom, Web) is also an asset for the impact of the project.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
EH9 3JG Edinburgh
GU2 5XH Guildford