The objective of this project is to perform a research for developing techniques for 3-dimensional cladding and/or hardening on hardly accessible locations with high power CW Nd:YAG lasers and/or high power diode lasers . Handling of the laser beam will be realised with glass fibre techniques, automated systems or a robot.
The following advantages of cladding and hardening with these laser types are foreseen:
- cladding or hardening of very defined small areas and restricting heat affect on the rest of the product;
- better process conditions on hardly accessible areas;
- a minimum dilution of the clad material with the substrate;
- low distortion of the base metal;
- excellent properties in terms of resistance against corrosive attack and wear resistance e.g. surface-fatigue-resistance .The research program will be carried out on stylised test pieces. These test pieces will be designed in such a way, that at the end of the project each of the industrial partners will be able to translate the results on their real products like cylindrical products , internal gears, products for farming implement , aircraft industry , medical equipment for the petrochemistry. The high power "diode laser" have remarkable increased lifetime ( > 10.00).
Funding SchemeEAW - Exploratory awards